Sponsored by the National Centre for Cultural Competence, The University of Sydney
Open to senior academics and appropriately qualified professionals outside of academia, the Distinguished Chair is to lead a specific research project in Cultural Competence for 5-6 months)
Recipients will also engage with faculty and students through guest lectures, seminars, and other educational programs.
Recipients will work with the National Centre for Cultural Competence (NCCC) at the University of Sydney
This award seeks researchers in Cultural Competence.
Cultural competence lays down the foundations for a socially just global consciousness and culturally diverse, respectful worldviews, grown through the development and processing of core values, knowledges, behaviours and actions. Its principles and praxis have germinated through the work of Indigenous and culturally diverse scholars, health professionals, peoples and groups whose work has been based upon a human rights agenda focused on equity and justice.
Cultural competence is at the heart of any strategy to improve knowledges, behaviours, attitudes and values of all Australians towards Indigenous Australians. The success of cultural competence occurs when there is a commitment made by the system to roll out a framework that enables the take up of cultural competence at all levels.
- A monthly stipend for a maximum of 6 months
- Accommodation allowance for a maximum of 6 months
- Generous international travel entitlement
- Travel allowance for an Australian lecture tour
- Health coverage under Medicare (Scholar only)
- Health and Accident Insurance (ASPE) to maximum of US$100,000 (Scholar only)
- Access to Fulbright Alumni in the US and Australia for social and professional networking
- Support through the Fulbright Commission to assist with administration, visas and general enquiries.
- Dependents of scholars who will be enrolled in the Australian public school system in grades K-12 may have tuition fees waived.
For exact entitlement amounts please visit the CIES Distinguished Chair page.
Please note that applicants are required to include a Letter of Invitation from the National Centre for Cultural Competence with their application.
Please contact the NCCC at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss proposed projects, and obtain the required letter.
Contact the Fulbright scholarships team for any queries related to entitlements or application processes.
More detailed information about the application process and a link to the online application form can be found on the CIES website.