Fulbright Postdoctoral Opportunities
2018 Fulbright Postdoctoral Opportunities
Fulbright Postdoctoral scholarships allow Australian researchers who have completed their PhD in the past three years (up to five years under extenuating circumstances) to undertake postdoctoral research in the United States.
Two general Postdoctoral scholarships are granted each year across all disciplines, in addition to various sponsored scholarships – please see table below for more opportunities.
What are the benefits?
- Monthly stipend for living expenses
- Travel Allowance
- Establishment allowance
- Dependent allowance (if applicable)
- ASPE medical insurance of up to A$100,000 (for the scholar only)
- National orientation program, showcase & gala presentation dinner
- Enrichment activities in the United States with other international Fulbright scholars
- Access to a professional network of distinguished Australian and American Fulbright alumni
- Ongoing assistance from the Commission with visas, enrichment opportunities and pastoral care
- Media and publicity support
What are the conditions?
- Recipients must have successfully completed their PhD within the last two to three years (five under extenuating circumstances, such as hiatus due to medical reasons, or family duties – please contact the Commission if uncertain.)
- Funding is stipend based and is for a minimum duration of three months, and a maximum duration of ten months.
- Stipend is paid monthly and is pro-rata, i.e. it will be reduced for shorter programs
- Awardees must demonstrate affiliation with a recognised host institution in order to take up the scholarship
- Awardees must demonstrate they have sufficient additional funds to support any accompanying dependents during their stay in the U.S.
- Please see General Award Terms and Conditions for more information
Other Postdoctoral scholarship opportunities:
All applications are considered in the postdoctoral general pool, however applicants may also be eligible for additional scholarship opportunities, some of which are awarded across multiple categories – please click on each of the below links for more information:
Need help preparing your application? Visit our Application Resources page. If you’re ready to apply click below!
Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholarship in Cultural Competence
Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholarship Sponsored by RMIT (Vice-Chancellor’s Postdoctoral Fellow)
Fulbright Postdoctoral Scholarship, Sponsored by Monash University